Friday, June 21, 2013

New Eyes, New Job, New City, New Life

Thanks to my best friend for the title above. I texted her that everything was happening so fast and she responded the way she always does - with positivity. Amen.

My surgeon was able to rearrange his schedule (i.e., postpone someone else's surgery) and fit me in on July 2. The surgery is - AGAIN DANG IT - an afternoon surgery, which means no food after midnight  until after the surgery. That's a long time without food or water. My surgery is at 12:45 p.m. but I have to be at the hospital at 11:15 a.m. Last surgery, I spent the morning baking four dozen pumpkin muffins so the family and I at least had breakfast for the next week. Unfortunately I was too sick to enjoy them before they went bad, but it kept me busy that morning instead of thinking about how hungry I was. You'd think it made my hunger worse but for me, baking isn't about eating. It's about the process.

So anyway, July 2 is perfect. It's a Tuesday. I can work in the morning. I'm told I can probably work the next day, but the president of the college is so awesome that she is letting us all go home at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, July 3. Obviously July 4 is a holiday, and since half of the employees are probably already planning to take Friday off, she's decided to close to college and let us have a nice long weekend. A four-and-a-half day weekend, to be exact. I was going to request Friday off since Saturday is the bridal shower, but now I don't have to.

Yes, I will be bruised and swollen for Julia's shower which is exactly what I was trying to avoid - we have almost no good pictures together from the last year - but it's an excuse to buy enormous Jackie O sunglasses instead of my usual fake Ray-Bans. And hopefully by then I won't need any more percocet and enjoy plenty of sangria.

*Update: I got this great response from a woman in my online Graves' support group.
Hi!  Congratulations on your new job!  In my experience, eyelid retraction repair recovery was a piece of cake compared to OD recovery.  I only had light sedation and local anesthetic during the procedure because they needed me to be able to sit up and open my eyes to help them gauge the correct height of the lids. 30 minutes after the procedure I was completely coherent and able to walk out of the hospital.  I had some mild pain that day, but by the next day was completely pain free and able to pretty much go about my normal routine-Of course with big dark glasses on when I left the house! If I remember correctly there was no bending below the waist or lifting anything heavy for the first week. I was using ice packs frequently and the majority of the swelling and bruising went away in 4 or 5 days. I would say it took a full 10 days for all of the bruising to diminish.  I think you will still be able to throw your friend a fabulous shower, you may just need a little extra make up and to wear glasses depending on the level of bruising you still have.I'm so glad you will be able to put TED behind you soon!  I'm sure everything will go great with your surgery!  Let us know.

No comments: