Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Friday night, I decided that getting back on track would start this past weekend. I planned to go to 9 a.m. yoga on Saturday, but when I woke up and looked at the clock, it was 8:59 a.m. Last week wore me out. I slept 11 hours last night. So instead, I made a healthy breakfast and some pumpkin coffee and decided that since it was 28 degrees out, I would do some yoga at home instead. I did, and by then it had warmed up, so I took the dogs outside for some fresh air. I attempted to both mow the lawn and use the leaf blower, but neither machine would start, so I opted for 15 minutes of raking a tiny little sliver of the lawn instead. I was exhausted and starving after such a small exertion, and woke up Sunday sore in my whole upper body. I guess surgery and nearly a month of no physical activity really does kick your butt. I did make it to yoga Monday night, so I want to try and go every Thursday and Monday night.

I got an email Friday night while attempting to determine why the dryer turns on and spins but won't heat up (I failed, by the way) letting me know I had been chosen to receive a scholarship to the GDATF annual conference in San Diego at the end of the month. Unfortunately, I had to pass it on but someone else will still get the opportunity to go in my stead. The scholarship covers the $260 conference fees and almost all of my meals Friday-Sunday, but not the hotel ($109/night x three nights) or the flight, which I could not find for less than $700 or without missing two days of work, and I simply can't miss any more work.

You know when you wake up and your eyes are filled with junk? Eye boogers, as I call them? Well I wake up every morning feelings like there is all this junk in my eyes. There usually is, but even after I wipe out the eye boogers, my eyes still feel full and tight as if I just opened them for the first time all morning. It's a strange feeling. I also wake up with a headache almost every morning, but I always have. I think it's more mold and allergies than eye-related, but my eye pain only makes it worse. On a positive note, I am back to wearing contacts now! I hate how I look in glasses and they were really starting to bother my ears and the bridge of my nose, so I'm happy to be a contact wearer again. It was scary putting them in for the first time in more than two weeks, but I was surprised to realize there was no discomfort. I have to go back so much further (a whole five millimeters!) to put them in and take them out, and since my eyes no longer bulge, I have to work a little harder to get them out. I used to just be able to open my eye and slide the contact right off, but now that my eyes are "normal," they don't fall out when I blink anymore. It's a good problem to have.

I decided that since my bruises are completely faded, it's not that exciting to see the change from day to day, so I will only be taking and posting photos on a weekly basis from now on. Since today is three weeks post-op, I documented what I look like both smiling and...not smiling? My eyes are not symmetrical, but that could be because of the additional swelling on the right side. Or not. Only time will tell, but either way, it'll all be corrected in a few months.

I can't seem to get rid of the congestion and nasal discharge, but I am told this is all normal after plain old sinus surgery, let alone having all kinds of stuff shoved up your nose and down your cheeks and behind your eyes, taking out lots of bone and fat from your head, and having your ethmoid sinuses taken out and put back in. In doing some online research to see what other hospitals and surgeons tell their patients, I read several warnings about not drinking through a straw after endonasal sinus surgery. Oops. I couldn't have NOT used a straw after my surgery. Nasal surgery doesn't result in a numb face and mouth, but the work that Dr. C did does, so I guess the numbness and need for a straw in order to drink trumps the risk of damaging my sinuses. I have had shooting pain through my far right lip and cheek that goes away after a few seconds, and I hope it means feeling will be returning soon.

No comments: