Thursday, October 4, 2012

Back to Life, Back to Reality

I saw Dr. C today, who was a sweetheart as always. He measured my eyes. Before surgery, my right eye was 25mm protruded and my left eye was 23mm. Today, even with the swelling, they are both even at 20mm (the average for most people). He said everything looks very good, and my bruises continue to fade every day as the pain decreases little by little. I asked about taking something stronger than ibuprofen and Tylenol, but the only thing he suggested was Ultram (tramadol) - a narcotic slightly weaker than Percocet. I declined. I don't want any more narcotics in my system. Yes, they work, but I hate the way I feel on them. I consider myself strong so I really want to get through this pain without any more hardcore drugs.

I am cleared to return to work on Tuesday (Monday is still a holiday for us New Englanders) on a part-time basis. Four hours will probably seem like eight at first, since I have yet to be awake for eight hours straight since before my surgery, and can't look at my computer for more than an hour without my eyes getting really tired and achy, but Dr. C said that is normal. He sent a letter over to the HR office at work telling them as much. It'll be like my original work schedule when I started, which was 8:30-12:30. Of course, I have an appointment with Dr. S first thing Tuesday morning, so I will have to adjust my schedule a bit that day, but it'll be nice to be back in a routine. I like routine.

They snipped the ends of the stitch on my left eye, and all that is left is the suture and - surprise, surprise - a scab that only I could've caused. I'm to leave that alone, and start massaging my lower eyelids up since they are still pretty stiff. I've done this massage thing a few times already, and it feels very strange, yet also feels good. My right lower lid is much more stiff than the left, as everything on the right side required significantly more work, hence why that eye hurts more and tires more quickly.

When I mentioned to Dr. C that I've been documenting this process and taking a photo every day, he said, "Oh that's great. The lawyers love that." I told him to shush, but he said in all seriousness, some patients really like hearing from other patients. I couldn't agree more, which is why I am so involved with GDATF. If I wasn't, I might have been too nervous or thought my thyroid eye disease was too mild to require surgery. And even if I did decide to have the surgery, I might not have been so helped by other patients who've undergone orbital decompression. He asked if I would be willing to speak to other patients who are deciding whether or not to have the surgery, and I said absolutely. This blog is public and anyone can find it via a simple search, but I think the details might be too much for someone who knows who Dr. C and/or Dr. S are, or who want to know what to expect without all the horrifying photos.

I finally broke down and had coffee today. It has been rainy, dark and dreary all week, and we were leaving my appointment when I realized Starbucks was "sort of" on the way home. So we went. Big mistake. It took forever to order and even longer to get my Salted Caramel Mocha and Everything Bagel. I felt like an a-hole since Dad was supposed to be getting back to work, but I had no idea it would take so freaking long. However, in the end, it was totally worth my time (not sure about his) and $0.87. I had my free birthday drink coupon and when I asked Dad to fish around my coin bucket in the dashboard, which has probably $10 in change, he got lazy and pulled a $1 from his pocket and only felt like digging around for 87 cents. Anyway, it was so good to have caffeine again. I feel drunk. I'm a little dizzy and definitely shaky but it has already benefited my digestive track and at least now I know my body is ready to handle my favorite drug - caffeine - again.

I haven't been smiling for my photos because A. at first, I couldn't smile, nor did I want to and B. the idea is to look at my eyes as normal as they can be, and when I smile, I squint (as do most people). However, my ability to smile is returning, but my face is so swollen that it's hard and my chipmunk cheeks are at an all-time high. But when I try to smile with my mouth closed, the right side is pretty dead, so I end up with this McKayla Maroney Is Not Impressed smirk. See evidence:

No comments: