Sunday, October 7, 2012

28 Years Old

Today is my birthday and I knew I wouldn't be feeling up to much. I woke up later than I planned this morning but still managed to be ready in time for Juls to pick me up at 11. She got me a nice bouquet of flowers and we went and got manis and pedis. I didn't get any weird stares (that I noticed) and my glasses cover almost my entire bruises, so I was glad for that. Afterward, I was so wiped out I took an almost-three-hour nap.

Mom and I agreed the tickets to the gymnastics tour we're going to in November would be my gift, but she's devilish and mailed something extra that will probably arrive on Tuesday. Dad gave me a gift certificate for an afternoon at the spa and a brand spanking new digital scale like I wanted. Brother bear got me a bottle of sauvignon blanc I hadn't heard of (a feat in itself) that I can't wait to crack open. The three of us went to Plan B Burger for dinner and I enjoyed two delicious glasses of wine, but they only made my head hurt worse. Either way, I've been off the painkillers since Wednesday so I felt I deserved the wine, and I enjoyed them nonetheless. I had an amazing burger on a pretzel roll and we got dessert to go (a fancy spin on a Drake's Funny Bone) even though Dad had a Carvel cake waiting at home - we had both!

The best gift of all? Yesterday's win! I had prepared myself for a loss and wasn't even going to get all bummed out about it, so thank you to my boys of ol' Florida for that nice little win over LSU.

My bruises are so small and hardly noticeable now, but the pain and pressure hasn't taken a hike like I hoped it would. I am sneezing more regularly now and I just hope I'm not getting a cold. I am exhausted, thanks in part to wine and all the good food and dessert, and I am going to put my 28-year-old self to bed before 10 p.m. tonight even though tomorrow is a work holiday and I have a whole 'nother day to mentally prepare myself to go back to work. Physically I know I'm not ready but I've got to start somewhere, and four hours should be manageable. If not, I'll go home when my body is done for the day.

No comments: