Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Way to my Heart...

...is definitely with food. Annie knows this all too well after nearly 23 years. I took one of my coma-like naps again today (I can take these even when I'm not recovering from major surgery) and dreamed I heard Rags being attacked. He was crying and yelping and I could hear a man's voice.

Turns out it wasn't a dream but my dad coming in the front door and Rags going bananas with excitement. I dragged myself out of bed to inquire as to why he had used the front door. "Because there was a delivery truck here." Oh, ok. I knew he was planning to buy a new dishwasher so I started back toward my bed when he thrust a giant bouquet to me and said, "This is for you. It's one of those 'arrangements.'"

And boy, was it. It was the most beautiful thing I'd seen in at least a week - strawberries and grapes and melon and, the best part, pineapples covered in dark and white chocolate and sprinkles to look like cupcakes. "Love, Annie & Ryan" said the card. I haven't been able to eat fruit or anything else large or crunchy because of my dead upper lip and still-throbbing upper teeth, but these are all cute and shaped and actually edible. Not to mention dotted with chocolate.

I put one of my frozen meals in the crockpot today but it's now 6 p.m. and my stomach still hurts a bit from gorging myself on the edible arrangement.

On a somewhat related note, I called Dr. C today, concerned about the fact that the entire white of my left eye is now bloody and yellow. And constantly "watering" (I use quotation marks because I'm really sure what is coming out of my eye but it's clear and wet). Dr. C operates on Tuesdays, so he wasn't in the office but I talked to my new bff Kathleen, his surgical coordinator with whom I have become quite close because of the process it took to finally get my surgery booked and then my 87 calls about the surgery itself and then my lack of composure at my post-op last week... Anyway, I explained the eye to Kathleen and she asked me to take a picture and text it to her. When she responded with, "I'm sending this to doctor. I'll let you know what he says," that didn't leave me feeling too reassured. My dad didn't like the look of it either. Heck, do you?

In the end, Dr. C said the yellow bloodiness was pretty normal. This was the eye that has been exposed the entire time - not the one that was covered for the first 48 hours. It still looks the same as it did earlier, and in fact, my right eye hurts worse. But I am able to look around a little more than I could yesterday, and I bet tomorrow I will be able to look around even a little more than today.

I leave you with today's photo. I'm so pasty white that this literally looks like a Halloween costume/zombie mask if you glance at it quickly or from the other side of the room. Pretty!

No comments: