Monday, November 26, 2012

Imperfection

I saw Dr. S (ENT surgeon) last week. He officially discharged me as a patient since my nose innards have healed and I have no residual sinus symptoms. Just like Dr. C, he was very pleased with the progress. The last time I saw him was the morning I was going back to work for the first time in two weeks, and I was still pretty bruised and swollen.

The idea of the perfect face has long been defined as one with perfect symmetry. Well, below is proof that I have nothing close to a perfect face, but that I am still swollen on the right side of my face despite what other people try to tell me. It also confirms my suspicion that my left eye is a little too close to my nose than I would like, but there's no going back now. It took a while for me to notice this become of the swelling and bruising, but now I can't help thinking I look cross-eyed occasionally.




I realize my imperfect posture makes one shoulder look massively larger than the other, but get over it.

On an unrelated note, Thanksgiving was nice. Uneventful, but nice. It was my first Thanksgiving with my mom, brother, or anyone on my mom's side since 2006. The food was delicious, my pumpkin pie fudge was a hit, and it was fun playing with my cousin's twin 3-year-olds and catching up with the rest of the family. I was so tired that I went to bed around 8 that night and woke up right around midnight and could not fall back asleep. I almost got up and went to the mall, but then I remembered I hate crowds and the idea of starting Black Friday deals before dawn, so I read until I fell back asleep.

Stupidly, I had scheduled a contact re-fitting at Target Optical at 11:30 on Friday morning. Fortunately, the parking lot was less crowded than I expected and no one was in the optical department. I finally got daily contacts since my two-week contacts weren't even lasting me a week. I guess the dryness and grittiness is a residual effect of the surgery and has a lot to do with the fact that my eyelids don't close at tightly anymore (another reason for the second surgery next year), so my wallet is unhappy but my eyes are thrilled with daily contacts (Acuvue 1-Day Moist, to be exact).

Juls and I had already done plenty of shopping on Wednesday, so Friday we got our nails done and walked around the mall but didn't buy anything. I spent the rest of the day relaxing, baking pretzel bread, and reading. I literally fell into bed at one point, and my elbow landed square on the screen of my Kindle. Needless to say, I no longer have a working Kindle. I wasn't planning on asking for anything big for Christmas (yes, my family still goes bananas with gifts), but I guess I can finally get the white Kindle keyboard I always wanted...? The one I broke was actually my mom's, but she didn't have wireless internet at the time and this Kindle was wifi-only, so I bought a 3G one and we "traded." It lasted a little more than a year, which meant it had a good run but was just out of warranty. I found a company online willing to give me $15 for it. Better than nothing, right?

I will leave you with this amazeballs photo I took of the moon last night. I'm doing the Fat Mum Slim Photo A Day Challenge, and yesterday's was "sky." When I remembered around 9 p.m. that I still hadn't taken a photo, I knew it was too late to try and capture anything decent with my iPhone's camera so I brought my Nikon Coolpix L810 outside on the tripod and used the ridiculous zoom. The second photo is simply exposure- and color-corrected, courtesy of my co-worker. I guess people steal photos (who knew?) so I watermarked them, which is something I've never done before. I'm pretty proud of this photo but even more pleased with the camera itself.

Click to view full size.

Click to view full size.


No comments: