Monday, November 4, 2013

First post-surgery bummer

With nothing but positive comments from my friends, family, and other people who knew how bad my eyes were before my orbital decompression and even still before my eyelid lowering surgery, today was my first reality check that my eyes will never be exactly as they were before Graves'.

A guy at work, who rarely talks to anyone, said, "You always have this look of surprise. Like you're thinking, 'I didn't just see that, did I?'"

Little does he know, my heart just broke a little and it's more like, "I didn't just HEAR that, did I?"

Guess I need to consider that follow-up surgery after all...

3 comments:

Better Girl said...

That guy at work is a bit of a jerk in my humble opinion. Still, you are a lot better off now than you were, and it could always be worse. Not that any of that will return your beautiful eyes to you as they once were.

I'd like to think as we age, this slight surprised look will help slow the aging process. :-)

Also have you considered using botox at all for the eyelids to lower them slightly?

Epsilon said...

I got a lot of comments like that before surgery. It's difficult to get the level exactly right. My one eyelid now sits lower than the other so sometimes I just look stoned and people have commented on that too but I know how much better I am and I have stopped letting what other people think affect how I feel about the tremendous time I went through having all those surgeries. I don't think you look surprised from the photo's you posted on here. He was probably innocently commenting on something and didn't realise what a tough time you'd been through to get to that point. If he did know though, then he's just a jerk and you should tell him to go jump in a lake!

Kel said...

He doesn't know about my Graves'/TED so I'm 99% sure it was meant to be funny or simply observatory, not malicious. No one at work knows, actually. I started my job on July 15 and still had some bruising from my July 2 eyelid surgery but no one asked questions and I don't want to offer any unnecessary information.

I've made a concerned effort to smile instead of doing the raised eyebrows thing when I walk by people in the hallways.