Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Go Away, 2012

2012 was a long, difficult year for me. The year started off exciting. I rang in the new year with my best friend of 14 years, not knowing how much reconnecting we'd get to do over the next 12 months. As soon as I got back to Florida, I started interviewing for what would become my current job. I was offered the job on January 24, and accepted it right away. I was actually shaking when I walked into my boss' office near the end of the workday. I asked if he had a minute, and when I shut the door, I saw the panic on his face.

Everyone at work knew my family and (most of my) friends were here in New England, but I was very quiet about looking for a job as people usually are. Not that I every worried my employment was in danger, but I wanted to be respectful of my current employer. I miss that job every day. I don't necessarily miss all the people, but some, and I really miss almost everything about the job except for the fact that it was 1,500 miles from where I am supposed to be. I cried when I left my office for the last time, but I really had no idea at the time how much I would come to miss it.

Within two weeks (actually 13 days) of giving my notice, I was on the road with my dad, Rags, and whatever we could fit in every possible inch of my Corolla. We made it home in record time - leaving around 6 a.m. on a Wednesday and pulling into my driveway around 2 p.m. the next day.

Work was challenging at first - and I don't mean the tasks. I didn't tell anyone at my job in Florida, but I was only offered a part-time job at first. I was told it was because the last person didn't work out and they wanted to make sure I'd be a good fit before making me full time. It turns out that wasn't 100% accurate, and in order to become a full-time employee, I had to agree to basically do two separate jobs. Fortunately I still have only one boss and one office and one desk, but the second half of my job is not at all what I expected. The point is that I have a job, health insurance, lovely co-workers and OK colleagues, a roof over my head and gas in my tank.

My health was a whole other issue. I didn't have insurance at first - well I did, but it was a state-sponsored plan for people who only get paid so much (which I qualified for as part time). So I skipped three months of endocrinologist appointments. Big mistake when you have been going every six weeks for the last two years. When I finally went, my levels were all over the place and still continue to be to this day. But then I got to meet Dr. C who would later perform the most important surgery of my life (to date - hopefully the last major one ever) and get me one giant step closer to my old self.

So as I ring in 2013, I am one year older but a million times better than I was 365 days ago. And for that, I am thankful every single day.

No comments: