Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Bipolar Thyroid

For those of you who have Graves' or understand it, or just like to follow my journey through it, you will be happy to know that I am back in euthyroid (normal thyroid) range.

Let's review this timeline again:
July 2009 - symptoms begin, Kelly is convinced she has a tapeworm based on eating buttloads of food yet losing weight by the day. She poops in a jar and doctor says she's fine. She enjoys this random & drastic weight loss.
February 2010 - Kelly ends up in ER after a resting heart rate of 150+ for more than 24 hours. Diagnosed with Graves' disease, and finds out it's one of the most severe cases her physician has ever seen.
February 2011 - Kelly swallows a radioactive pill that will eventually kill her thyroid.
August 2011 - Pill finally works. Kelly becomes hypOthyroid the same week her eyes bug out of her head.
August 2011-August 2012 - Kelly and her endocrinologists struggle to find the correct dose of Synthroid. First she becomes hypER and endocrinologist continues to lower dose every six weeks. After a three-month hiatus from doctor's appointments and bloodwork, Kelly finds out she is hypO again and needs a higher dose.
August 2012 - For the first time in a long time (3+ years), Kelly has achieved euthyroid - meaning her thyroid levels are normal.
October 2012 - Just kidding. Kelly is hypER again and needs a lower dose.
January 2013 - Back to normal. Stay on the same dose. Test again in two months.

image from theinfertilityvoice.com
What a roller coaster!

I just hope this lasts. I feel good. I haven't had a sinus infection since I took antibiotics for the one I got right before Christmas. I've avoided the flu/colds everyone else seems to have succumbed to. I've lost 2.5lbs this week by staying under a strict calorie limit and exercising every day - either running (I'm training for a 5K), ashtanga yoga, or stability ball workouts. I no longer need a gym to feel motivated to exercise because seeing that small number on the scale is all the motivation I need to keep going. On days like today, however, it would be nice to be able to get a run in somewhere indoors, but interval training on a treadmill is a b*tch and I'm simply too cheap to pay to use a treadmill. Like I've said before, I could always use the gym at work but I'm trying not to spend a single second more than 40 hours a week here. I also purchased a FitBit Zip, although it seems like a glorified pedometer unless I'm doing something wrong (in that case, please enlighten me in the comments section). It actually doesn't work all the time - sometimes failing to count a single step during a 60-second walk around my house - and I thought it would work sort of like a heart monitor, counting extra calories burned during workouts, but it doesn't. I guess I didn't really know what I was buying even though I'd been eyeing it for months.

No comments: